Friday, March 1, 2013

Research

This past week I have began researching and gathering resources. I have 
been reading books, such as Encyclopedia of Furniture Making by Ernest Joyce, and browsing very helpful websites, such as finewoodworking.com, where I have found many tutorials which I will be able to refer back to once I have begun building. On that note, I have found a simple chair design online that will still help me to learn many woodworking skills. Here is an image on the right. I found this design, along with rather detailed steps, go here to check it out yourself. I have also begun to gather all the supplies I will need, which includes mostly wood, screws and fabric for the seat, which is am optional comfort. I have access to a large supply of raw lumber, through my dad, and access to all the tools I will need. The only step that I would not potentially be able to complete is making pocket holes, a process which is described here, but the author of the chair plans provides an easy alternative.
My other reading includes Puzzles in Wood by E.M. Wyatt, Hand tools published by Fine Woodworking Magazine, and Making Little Boxes From Wood by John Bennet. These books, as well as the one I mentioned earlier, have helped me learn about just what their titles say. I have been looking through the second and fourth books for a possible second project, because the majority of the projects within them are quite simple, yet exciting. The book on wooden puzzles particularly interests me, and I hope I can find the time to make at least one puzzle in wood. I plan to begin the construction process of my chair this Monday, time permitting, but I cannot wait!


On another note, each week I will be checking out three of my peer's blogs, and leaving a comment. Here are this week's:
The Bluegrass Blog by Ben
Organic Architecture: Changing the Landscape of Design by Dillon
and The (Undecidedly Evil or Not Evil) Genius Project by Owen

3 comments:

  1. I think that woodworking is pretty cool! I've done some myself in the past, some tips I'll have for you is to take your time. All the smaller things like making sure wood doesn't crack, and (if you're going to use it) wood glue should be applied precisely. If you try to rush ANYTHING and not be precise, you might end up with a wobbly chair that will break the moment someone's butt sits on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that this is totally awesome! Woodworking seems like something you are interested in and you have a passion for! I think that the chair idea you have is a great idea. I do see a problem arising because of the lack of knowledge of tools. Are you planning on learning just how to use the tools and how to put everything together? I sincerely look forward to following your adventures in woodworking and I wish you luck on that chair!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems like you've really gained a lot of knowledge already! I think it'll be interesting to see what struggles you have when beginning construction and how you deal with them. You do seem to have a real knack for absorbing this information though. If the chair project goes better then expected, will you attempt to make something else? And will you be sewing your chair's "optional comfort" pillow? If so, I would check out some of the learning to sew blogs for some good sources! Overall, I bet it's going to go great and I'm excited to see your outcome!

    ReplyDelete