Tuesday, March 19, 2013

More Construction

     This week I begun more construction; I have both my back legs cut out, and marked out the seat. Progress on the legs has been slow because they are the only pieces that require curving cuts. To do this I used a jigsaw, which is like a hand held scroll saw. This saw allows you to cut straight lines with gentle curves. The rest of the pieces are squares or rectangles, making them much simpler to do. I will be using a table saw to do the rest, making the cuts quick and efficient, but slightly more messy. Because the table saw produces more dust, which is either flung into the air or sucked into a vacuum, I needed to purchase some safety goggles. These will also be useful for future projects. I have done some practice cuts on the table saw. Here are some safety precautions I learned:
  1. When using the table saw always be sure to use eye and ear wear
  2. Never reach over or around the blade when it is spinning
  3. Always try and use some form of device to push the wood with; the farther your hands are from the blade the better
  4. Make quick, precise cuts to avoid the piece catching and being flung back at you by the blade
  5. Most importantly, respect the saw. It is dangerous, and can hurt you if you are not careful
I also learned about the two main type of cuts, crosscut, against the grain, and rip cut, with the grain. When you make a cut with the table saw, you want to make it quick to avoid burn marks on the wood. When setting up the saw you want it to be just higher than the piece. The table saw is something that will really help me speed up my work. Progress has been slow so far, but as various school projects rap up, and the actual process becomes easier, my progress should speed up. I have found that it is often hard to motivate myself to stop whatever it is I am doing and work on this project, but once I get started I generally enjoy myself. I am looking forward to spring break where I will be able to work for much longer periods of time. I can not wait.
The two back legs. These were cut by the jigsaw,
some planing is still necessary.
The two back legs; these were cut with the table saw.



















This week I visited and commented on:
iOS Programming: App Development by Mayank
ERB Cinematography by Ethan
and My Journey Learning Hebrew by Ian

3 comments:

  1. Hi Will, first of all I think the legs for your chair look awesome. I am wondering if the seat will also have a board on the back to lean on, and how this will look. I also was wondering why some of the legs are bent while others are not. Are they still the same height or is the seat supposed to be at an incline?
    -Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will, this project is very interesting and unique. You obviously enjoy woodworking and I think that will help you want to make your chair better. As to your problem with motivating yourself to work, I agree that spring break will be a time that you can work for longer periods of time and hopefully not have as many distractions stopping you from starting to work. Te chair seems to be coming along great. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Will, I just want to say that I really like your project. it seems like your very passionate about woodworking, which should help you in creating the perfect chair. I also like your blogging style, as it is pretty direct, but still feels casual. best of luck over spring break!
    ~~S

    ReplyDelete